Middle school is a time in a student's education career marked by increasing responsibility and independence. As a result, students assume more control over studying and preparing for examinations and presentations than they did in elementary school. Below are study tips that parents and children can adopt to help ensure greater success moving through the middle school years and beyond.
- Have a consistent study time, which is agreed upon by both child and parent. Suggested amount of time per grade:
6th grade - 45 minutes
7th grade - 1 hour
8th grade - 1hr. 15 minutes
- Be sure that your Chromebook is charged and working to help complete any assignments.
- Be sure that the study location is free from distractions.
- Have good lighting, desk, and chair.
- Have all study materials ready to use.
- Monitor your child’s work but do not do it for them.
- Do the most difficult work first.
- Complete long-term assignments well ahead of deadline.
- Be sure to use your school planner.
- Keep all materials fastened into an appropriate notebook.
- Review notes nightly.
- Take occasional breaks when studying.
- Students should read a minimum of 15-30 minutes nightly.
- Use math lab and Period 9 to get additional help.
- Set realistic academic goals.
- Have a friend you can call for clarification or missed assignments.